Thursday, September 20, 2012

What Grips Us? – A College Kid and ECW


What Grips Us – This post is about those things that grip us and take us for a ride for a long, long time.  I was on Facebook last night and came upon a link for Kickstarter campaign for an unbiased documentary about Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) - ECW Documentary
For those of you who do not know ECW was a professional wrestling company that started in the early 90s and lasted through 2001.  I became a fanatic when I was college flipping through the channels in the winter of 1996.  I saw four men brawling all the way around the arena.  I was a professional wrestling fan since I was 10 years old but I was used to the wrestlers competing in the ring.
ECW What Grips Us

What Grips Us – ECW

In 1996, wrestling had become about larger than life cartoon characters and had lost its shine.  However, this was something new, something real and something different.
A few months later a friend of mine offered to make the six hour drive to Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania for our first show ever.  I was hooked from that moment on.  I probably attended 30 shows.  After moving back to Las Vegas after college, I decided to come back to the East Coast and one of the key reasons is so I could watch ECW.
Last night, I started to watch videos that are excerpts for the documentary and I was brought back to the same emotional place where I was on college.
Now, I am a father and a husband and have “grown up” responsibilities, but there is something about this organization that still gets me excited today, even though they have been out of business for 10 years.
I have tried to figure it out many times but I just prefer to leave at – This is the way it is.
This is not a post about ECW or professional wrestling but about those things in life that grip us and have us for life.  This, I say, is what life is all about and what separates us from animals.
Make today an amazing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment